Monday, September 15, 2008

In Case You're Desperate...



"THE TURNING POINT"
Scarborough, Maine
Oil on Canvas
15" x 30"
$1,200 USD


Interesting things can happen when you're standing along side the road painting, not the least of which are the characters who drop by for a visit. First, the lady who screeched to a halt and sprinted back up the road waving her gallery card and screeching "Do you have gallery representation?;" and let us remember the husband and wife who wanted to own it for their home nearby, but didn't want to pay much (sorry folks, you'll find that sort of art work at Wally World) and of course, the truckers.

I must say a few words about truckers. Either they are be depraved by nature, or they are all art lovers at heart, because apparently few can restrain themselves from laying on the horn whilst barreling by. Have you ever had a semi truck horn go off at close range behind your back? Talk about getting your crackers scattered~

After the umpteenth blasting, I mused that a specially designed trucker's horn might be the key to my wealth. Why I would simply design and patent a horn that would convey their truest base sentiments, ....blaring Ssssseeexxxxxxxxx! Maybe several optional sounds, for instance TITSssssssssss.... Assssssssss.... HOOTERrrrrrrrssss! Several friends were appalled; they thought this highly sexist of me and offered that I might be sued. However, I am convinced a fine trucker's horn would sell like HOooooooT CAKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkes! No doubt I would quickly become a millionairess.

The most comical and enduring chuckle regarding this painting is the woman from Freeport who wanted to buy it in the worst way, but was not authorized to spend such a sum as her husband, in all likelihood would have divorced her. And so she did what any sane wife would do, and offered me half the asking price. Naturally I declined. I am no flea market art seller, and until the the right buyer comes along, I am enjoying this particular piece in my office. Looks rather lovely I might add.

Not one to be easily dismissed, this dear woman called six months later to inquire if the painting had sold. "No... I'm looking at it right now, and its a BEAUTY!" Again, the half price offer. Again the decline. She warned, "OK, but if you get desperate, remember me." I countered, "Ohhh trust me, if I get desperate... I will surely remember you.

No comments: