Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Hula Girl


"BREMEN LONG ISLAND"
Bremen, Maine
Oil on Canvas
"18 x 18"
$900 USD


By some act of divine providence, a friend was bartending for a private soiree' on Bremen Long Island and I wangled an invitation to tag along and paint.

While guest sipped fine wine, I schlepped my gear out to yonder point and undertook this image. Time was short and it was a one shot deal. To add to the challenge, a formidable wind threatened to send the canvas flying at any moment, whipping my old yellow paint skirt back and forth, earning me the nickname of “the hula girl” – the guests apparently quite entertained from a distance and probably moreso with the passing of more liquor. Oblivious, I painted like a madwoman, the brush working every corner of that canvas, racing the inevitable tide which crept in stealthily, and the sun, which slipped down all too soon on the horizon. With wind burned eyes and a feeling of utter exhaustion, I headed back to find a little place to recoup among the guests.

No comments: